New Year, new goals! What’s the one thing throwing us off track each year? Food!
We start with a healthy mindset, but too often we skip meals and end up starving our bodies of the nutrients and energy needed to make it through the day. We end up bingeing on unhealthy choices since we haven’t eaten and we destroy our good intentions.
Are you aware that five meals a day should be your ideal goal for prefect health and performance? By increasing your number of meals each day, and decreasing the amount of food within those meals, you can boost your metabolism and burn more calories! YOUR BODY WILL NOT NEED TO STORE FOOD, since you will be eating only the food you need to get you to the next meal.
We are not talking five full meals people, but three reasonable meals and two complex carb snacks should be the plan for the basic 2,000 calorie meal goal plan each day. This is not a snack of chips or croissants, but snacks of substance to provide energy and strength.
Additionally, through the process of creating complex carb snacks you will find an increased level of energy, a decreased desire to eat unnecessarily, and a leaner physique!
To help boost your planning for 2018, here are 10 GRAB-N-GO SNACKS to keep you on course for a healthy year ahead! Remember, minimal prep can save you thousands of calories in the long run.
1) HUMMUS, PITA & SUGAR SNAP PEAS (165 Calories)
2 Tablespoons of Hummus
- 70 calories. Contains 2g of protein and 5g of fat. (Based on Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus) NOTE – homemade is always better than store bought.
- Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides, high in vitamins and minerals, acts as an anti-inflammatory and boosts energy!
1 Toasted Pita Pocket – Torn Into Pieces
- 60 calories. Contains 6g of protein, 4g of fiber and 2g of fat. (Based on Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran, Whole Wheat Pita Bread)
- Great source of Omega-3s, high in protein and good for your heart.
1-¼ Cup Raw Sugar Snap Peas
- 35 calories. Includes 2g of fiber and 2g of protein.
- High in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, fiber and minerals!
2) PISTACHIOS, PEAR & BAYBEL CHEESE (201 Calories)
- 51 calories. Includes 2g protein and 4g of fat (good fat)!
- Amazing benefits for overall health and great skin!
1 Medium Pear
- 100 calories – Contains 6g of fiber.
- High in Vitamin C, phytonutrients, antioxidants and 24% of your daily needs of fiber!
1 Mini Light Baybel Cheese Round
- 50 calories – Contains 6 grams of protein and 3g of fat.
- Excellent source of calcium, protein, Vitamin A and B12, Phosphorus and Zinc!
3) STRING CHEESE, KIWI & MIXED NUTS (201 Calories)
1 Stick of Polly-O Reduced Fat Mozzarella String Cheese
- 60 Calories. Includes 7g of protein and 4g of fat.
- Super source of protein and calcium.
- 61 Calories. 3g of fiber and 1g of protein.
- Super high in Vitamin C! Great source for Vitamin A and B6. Excellent for your skin, vision, teeth, immune system and overall health!
2 Tablespoon of Raw Mixed Nuts (Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts, Brazilian and Cashews)
- 80 Calories. Contains 3g of protein.
- High in vitamins and minerals, as well as a great source of healthy fats, fiber and protein!
4) ONE EGG, GREEN PEPPER & TOAST (171 Calories)
1 Hard-Boiled Egg
- 77 calories. Contains 6 grams of protein and 5g of fat.
- Super source for Vitamin A, Vitamin D, good fats and protein.
1 Cup Chopped Green Peppers
- 30 calories. Contains 2g of fiber and 1g of protein.
- High in fiber, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
1 Slice of Toasted Organic Bread
- 64 calories. Includes 3g of protein, 2g of fat, 9g of carbs and 4g of fiber. (Based on Organic Survival Pre-sliced Whole Grain Power Bread by the German Bread Haus)
- High in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
5) ALMONDS & TANGERINE (155 Calories)
- 105 Calories. Contains 3.83g of protein and 9.12g of fat.
- Great source of fiber, protein, healthy fats, Vitamin E and Magnesium.
- Also, reduces hunger and promotes weight lose.
- 50 Calories. Contains 8g of sugar.
- High in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Potassium, Folate and Flavonoid.
- Super for overall health, skin, hair and immune system.
6) PUMPKIN SEEDS, SWEET POTATO & ASPARAGUS (133 Calories)
1 Tbsp. Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 57 calories. Contains 3g of protein and 5g of fat.
- High in nutrients, antioxidants and fiber.
½ Medium Sweet Potato
- 51 calories. Includes 11.8g of carbs, 1.15g of protein and .09g of fat.
- High in Vitamin A, B6, Vitamin C, potassium, Beta-carotene and more!
5 Spears Raw Asparagus
- 25 calories. Contains 1.9g of protein, 3g of carbs and 0 fat.
- High in nutrients and antioxidants, is also known for a great diuretic!
7) RICE CAKE, ALMOND BUTTER & PEACH (177.5 Calories)
Publix Fat Free Salt Free Rice Cake
- 40 Calories. Includes 1g of protein and 8g of carbs.
- Low calorie, rich in nutrients and high in fiber.
1 Tablespoons Almond Butter
- 5 Calories. Contains 4g of protein, 8.5g of fat and 1g of sugar.
- High in Vitamin E, Magnesium and Iron.
1 Medium Peach
- 40 Calories. Includes 1g of protein and 2g of fiber.
- Great source for Vitamin C, Fiber, Vitamin A, Niacin and Potassium.
8) POPCORN, PARMESAN & STRAWBERRIES (165 Calories)
3 Cups Air Popped Popcorn
- 93 calories. Contains 3g of protein, 3g of fiber and 0 fat.
- High in fiber, low in fat and is high in antioxidants!
2 teaspoons Kraft Parmesan Cheese
- 22 Calories. Includes 1.5g fat and 2g of protein.
- Nice source for Vitamin A and Calcium, but can be high in sodium so be careful.
8 Medium Strawberries
- 50 Calories. Includes 2g of fiber, 1g of protein and 8g of sugar.
- Excellent source for Vitamin C, Manganese, fiber, Folate and Iodine.
- Good source of Vitamin B6, Omega-3 fats, Copper, Biotin, Potassium, Phosphorus and Magnesium.
9) TUNA FISH, CELERY & CRACKERS (215 Calories)
3oz can of Starkist Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water
- 90 Calories. Contains 20g of protein and 1g of fat.
- Packed with protein, high in Omega-3, Niacin and Vitamin B12.
2 Medium Stalks of Celery
- 15 Calories. Contains 2g of fiber, 2g of sugar and O protein.
- Filled with antioxidants, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Folate,
- Can prevent dehydration and bloating!
6 Nabisco Triscuit Reduced Fat Crackers
- 110 Calories. Includes 2.5g of fat, 3g of protein and 21g of carbohydrates.
10) KAISHA & KIND BARS (140-150 Calories)
Kaisha – Honey Almond Flax
- 140 Calories. Contains 6g of protein, 20g of carbs, 5g of fat, 60mg of sodium and 6g of sugar.
Kind Healthy Grains Double Dark Chocolate
- 150 Calories. Contains 3g of protein, 5g of fat, 23g of carbs, 90mg of sodium and 5g of sugar.
By planning healthy snacks and meals, you take control of your health. I guarantee you will feel so much better eating one of the above snacks instead of a bag of chips or a candy bar. Your choice! Make your meals count!
Nutritional facts within this article can be found in the FDA.gov downloads and from the suggested products posted nutritional information.
Please let me know if you found this article useful. You are welcome to add your comments below.
Thank you – Michelle